1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Visited Seattle. Visited Mexico. Had a long-distance relationship. Moved in with a significant other.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Here were my resolutions from last year:
1. Read more. Yes.
2. Write more. Wrote substantially less this year, unfortunately.
3. Get driver's license. Fail.
4. Exercise more. Almost certainly not.
5. Get along better with Mom. Yes and no. We fight less, but I can't be her emotional support the way she seems to want me to.
6. Spend less time on the computer and more time with real people. Did do that, I think.
7. Figure out what I'm doing with my life (work, school, whatever). It's a work in progress.
8. Sort out my mental health situation. Also a work in progress.
10. STAY OUT OF THE EMERGENCY ROOM. Yeah, not even close.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2012?
sanity, a job
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
8 Feb, when Dad left Mom for Pat; 3-7 Aug, when I flew out to Seattle on two days' notice to spend a long weekend with Nik (the first time we'd been in the same place since deciding to start dating); 20 Oct, the day I flew out to Seattle to stay
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Is it odd to say that my biggest achievement is my current relationship? Because it totally is.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing the entire middle of the year really sucked.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than the usual, I had various allergic reactions to meds, a kidney stone, a panic attack sans meds that required an emergency room trip, a trip to the ER for a really weird asthma attack/cardiac thing they still can't identify, and a case of strep throat. For those keeping track at home, that's four ER visits. Oof.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The plants for Savoir-Faire, the apartment I share with Nik.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Nik, jaiwithani, workownsmysoul
13. Whose behavior made you appalled?
14. Where did most of your money go?
I had no money this year, so I've been relying on the kindness of others.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Nik, Dragon*Con, Seattle, Cancun
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2012?
John Williams Is the Man - I've had it stuck in my head since Nik first played it for me months ago.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder? Happier, definitely. The first 2/3 of this year were awful, but it's much better now.
ii. Richer or poorer? Poorer, even. God, I really need a job.
iii. Thinner or fatter? Slightly thinner, which is good. I've stabilized at a little heavier than I'd like, but it's not far off.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Spending time with people. Exercising. Writing. Living.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve was dinner with Nik. Christmas day was him cleaning the entire apartment and me completely revamping my resumé, and then we ate huge amounts of Chinese food and happy fun naked times. It was a good day. :D
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
I'm heading that way. :D
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Doctor Who, Once Upon a Time, Battlestar Galactica until it got ridiculous
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
The Last Colony by John Scalzi, A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness, The Passage by Justin Cronin
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
a capella movie and tv music on YouTube
27. What did you want and get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Avengers; I am so in love with Chris-Evans-as-Captain-America. :D
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
25; I wasn't particularly thrilled, but Mom took me out to dinner anyway.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not being crazy. Is it really so much to ask?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Chris-Evans-as-Captain-America. But only as Captain America. I don't get it.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The 2012 election, on basically all levels. The Maryland ballot questions were especially interesting this year.
35. Who did you miss?
Everyone, at one point or another. Pittsburgh is so lonely. Nik was already in Seattle when I came back to DC. And Seattle is awesome, but I miss my East Coast people.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
the French Fried Friends, our friendsgroup here in Seattle
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
Sometimes, it's worth it to take a chance. ;)
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Wise men say only fools rush in, But I can't help falling in love with you. "Can't Help Falling in Love With You", Elvis Presley
And, for kicks, last year's answers.